Variety empowers children with physical and developmental disabilities and improves their quality of life. Variety is looking for a talented graphic designer to help share the story of our historic charity. The successful candidate will help us visualize our message for a world where children’s abilities are redefined, and possibilities are reimagined across our communications channels.
We want someone who can help take our charity’s narrative and find visually compelling ways to represent the message. In this role, the candidate will be able to take layered and often complex ideas and represent them in a digestible way. We’re looking for someone who can design for multiple formats — digital, video, print, presentation — and for multiple channels. This individual will report to the Communications Director and be responsible for all creative printed and electronic designs for Variety.
Projects will include presentations, print materials, illustrations, advertisements, email design and more. This position demands a high capacity for teamwork, ability to adapt complex concepts into easy-to-understand illustrations, execution of projects that meet the needs of differing audiences and resourcefulness to find design and/or technical solutions to unexpected challenges.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for creative design and coordinating the printing of marketing materials with an emphasis on higher level graphic design projects.
- Conceptualize designs based on requirements
- Prepare rough drafts and present ideas
- Strategic planning for collateral including setting timelines and developing organizational goals.
- Manage the concept creation, design and execution of all print materials including the Dinner with the Stars program book, Annual Report, Spotlight Newsletters, Variety Theatre playbill and other pieces.
- Evaluation of collateral results reported to Communication Director.
- Manage the communications department calendar to ensure a constant stream of contact with Variety’s stakeholders while meeting all deadlines in a timely manner.
- Keep web site visuals up to date
- Film and produce short montage videos after events and programs
- Serve as photographer at all Variety events and, when necessary, oversee photographers hired for special events.
- Design and print T-shirts for Adventure camp and Variety Theatre.
- Get quotes for printing and fulfillment of all printed materials, including price per piece, paper stock needed, deadlines etc.
- Maintain good working relationship with Variety’s print vendors.
- Update office stationery including but not limited to Variety letterhead, envelopes, brochures, business cards and thank you cards.
- Work with Communications Director and Development Director to oversee stewardship efforts toward Variety’s donors and corporate partners.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required; A minimum of 2 years’ experience working as a graphic designer. Prior experience in the non-profit sector is preferred. The successful candidate will be a strong and effective communicator with the ability to create effective visuals in a fast paced environment.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and three references to
Jean Larson Steck
Variety St. Louis
11840 Westline Industrial Dr., Suite 220
St. Louis, MO 63146
Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Variety welcomes difference in the form of gender, race, ethnicity, disability, geography, socioeconomic status, age, politics, religion, philosophy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status.
All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.