Abilities redefined. Possibilities reimagined.
Our Mission: Variety empowers children with special needs by providing access to medical equipment, therapy, and innovative programs.
Our Vision: To create a world where abilities are redefined and possibilities are reimagined.
About Us: Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis is dedicated to empowering local children with disabilities, ages birth to their 21st birthday, by providing access to vital medical equipment and therapies as well as the opportunity to participate in innovative Camp and Performing Arts programs.
Through these programs and services, Variety aims to make the seemingly impossible – like walking, talking, hearing and making friends – possible for Variety Kids by helping them to redefine their abilities and reimagine their possibilities.
Our Model: By providing Variety Kids with a combination of our services and programs, we aim to improve their quality of life by establishing their independence, teaching new skills, improving socialization with family and friends, and increasing their self-esteem.
- Durable Medical Equipment: The DME program gives Variety Kids the tools they need to access their worlds. This vital medical equipment, including manual and power wheelchairs, orthotics, standers, communication devices, hearing aids, therapeutic bikes, van lifts and much more, can provide a never-before-reached level of independence.
- TherHappy Kids: Through this program, Variety Kids are given access to necessary therapies that help build the skills needed to excel in their everyday life. Covered therapies include physical, occupational, speech, equine and aqua therapy, all provided through approved therapists. For families where access is a barrier, for whatever reason, Variety also offers assistance with virtual therapy.
- Recreation: Variety’s Recreation program includes Adventure Camp, a free day camp for Variety Kids, ensuring that they do not miss out on the formative camp experience. At Camp, Variety Kids conquer new challenges and make lifelong friends, empowering them to better engage with others outside of Camp. This program also includes free family events available to all Variety Kids and their families, including Family Celebration Day in the spring and Fall Family Fun Fest in the fall.
- Performing Arts: This unique program offers a fully inclusive opportunity unlike anything else in the country. Children of all abilities participate together in Variety Theatre, Variety Children’s Chorus and Variety Dance – the three key entities of this program that give each child the chance to build confidence in the spotlight.
- Education: In addition to the core programs listed above, Variety St. Louis also works to provide various educational opportunities via the Emerson Resource Center. Learn more about this program and its entities here.
These services and programs are offered to children and teens (ages birth to 21) with medically diagnosed disabilities who live in the St. Louis area. The 30 counties we serve in Missouri and Illinois can be found in the map below.
Get Help: For more information, including details about the application process, and to apply for help for your child with a disability, click here.
Give Help: If you’d like to give to help us make the impossible, possible for Variety Kids through these programs and services, click here. Thank you!