Now Hiring: Recreation Manager
Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis (Variety) impacts local children with disabilities by providing access to vital medical equipment and therapies as well as the opportunity to participate in innovative recreation and performing arts programs. Variety is seeking a team member to support Variety’s program team. The successful candidate will be passionate about the Variety mission of making the impossible possible; helping build a world where children’s abilities are redefined, and possibilities are reimagined.
Variety is seeking a fun, energetic and creative team member who is motivated by supporting individuals aged 4 to 20 with physical and development disabilities. You will be empowered to develop, organize, manage and coordinate fun filled camp activities, assist with chorus, dance and theatre camps, promote and distribute standard bikes, support young adults in planning outings, and organize family events. You will lead the team of seasonal employees, volunteers and contractors through all stages of planning and execution from program design to venue and transportation logistics, recruitment of program participants and staff to onsite management of activities, and finally program assessment and evaluation. Strong organizational skills and the ability to problem solve are a must! You will have the opportunity to engage and build relationships with Variety families and children as well as throughout the disability community and most importantly, be an integral part in positively impacting the lives of children with differing abilities and their families.
- Manage the planning and execution of Variety programs including Adventure Camp, Bikes for Kids, venturing crew, Family Celebration, social group activities, performing arts programming and other initiatives and activities.
- Develop curriculum and programming that maximizes the educational and socialization opportunities for children participating in the program.
- Coordinate logistics including securing venues, recruiting and managing seasonal staff and volunteers, organizing supplies and transportation, and managing all communications to families and participants.
- Provide on-site management of program activities ensuring the engagement and safety of program participants.
- Facilitate the distribution of assessment surveys including maintaining a calendar of distribution timeline, sending surveys, tracking completion and follow up to ensure all surveys are complete and returned. Organize and compile survey data for analysis by the Program Director.
A successful candidate will have/be:
- A Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, in recreation, education, social work, therapy or a related field. Ideally, the candidate will have an educational background and/or experience in special education.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in recreational programming ideally with experience managing camp programs, early childhood education or afterschool programs. Experience working with children with disabilities is a plus.
- Strong project management skills with excellent organizational skills, strong attention detail and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of tasks.
- A solution focused problem solver who is flexible and able to respond quickly and appropriately in changing or stressful situations.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact and building relationships with a broad range of constituents from program participants, parents, vendors and staff including the ability to effectively recruit and supervise seasonal staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
- A passion for the mission of Variety and how they can contribute to its success.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Robin Diehl, Program Director at email@example.com.
Per Variety’s policy, we require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. If you are hired, we will require that you prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid medical or religious reason not to be vaccinated.
Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Variety welcomes difference in the form of gender, race, ethnicity, disability, geography, socioeconomic status, age, politics, religion, philosophy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.