COVID-19 UPADTE: Variety St. Louis is committed to providing Variety Kids with uninterrupted access to critical equipment, therapy services and programs. Families of area children with disabilities (ages birth to 21) are encouraged to continue to apply and submit requests for these vital services, including new needs that may arise as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
To process these requests as quickly as possible, we have developed a streamlined application for financial assistance. We are also now considering special circumstances for families who typically wouldn’t qualify for financial support but have had a loss of income. This applies to both our Durable Medical Equipment program and our TherHappy Kids program.
In addition, we have expanded our TherHappy Kids program to include assistance with telehealth (virtual) therapy sessions. If your child does not have a therapist, or your current provider is not able to offer teletherapy at this time, we have partnered with E-Therapy to provide access to occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy via teletherapy.
To download our streamlined Medical Equipment and Therapy Financial Assistance Application, click here. For medical equipment requests, Misty Burton is ready to help and answer any questions. Please contact her at 314-720-7708 or Misty@VarietySTL.org. For therapy questions and for more information regarding E-Therapy, please contact Carolyn Smith-Wooten at 314-720-7720 or Carolyn@VarietySTL.org.
Interested in becoming a Variety Family and participating in Variety’s many programs? Participation in our Variety programs, including Adventure Camp, Performing Arts programs, free family events and more, is not based on financial need, but your child must have a medical diagnosis of a physical or developmental disability. Please fill out Variety's General Application here – once registered as a Variety Family, you’ll be added to our email list and receive more information.
Contact Performing Arts Manager Joy Addler at Joy@VarietySTL.org for questions about Variety Theatre, Variety Children’s Chorus or Variety Dance. Senior Program Manager Robin Diehl is available to help if you have questions about Adventure Camp or any other programs, or would like to submit a general application. Please contact her at 314-720-7717 or Robin@VarietySTL.org.
Either application can be emailed to the appropriate contact via email (listed above), faxed to 314-731-6866 or mailed to:
Variety the Children's Charity
11840 Westline Industrial Dr. STE 220,
St Louis, MO 63146.
How Variety’s Medical Equipment and TherHappy Programs Work:
- Variety children must be under the age of 21 and living in the Greater St. Louis region (counties we serve are shown in the map above).
- Variety provides medical equipment, but is unfortunately not able to help with evaluations, doctor fees, hospital fees, eyeglasses, TES Units, hand controls for automobiles, diapers, food (for tube feedings), respirators or modifications to the home (inside or outside, i.e. lifts, ramps).
Procedure for Assistance
- Upon request, an application form is filled out by the parent or guardian of the child with a disability.
- A copy of the most recent federal income tax return (1040) must be submitted with the application. To ensure service for those who need it most, Variety serves families with an adjusted gross income of less than $85,000.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, Variety is considering applications from families with a higher adjusted gross income if special circumstances, such as a loss of income, apply.
- Each application is reviewed on an individual basis.
- For each piece of equipment Variety purchases, a prescription, letter of necessity, and estimate of cost are required.
- The request is submitted to the insurance company, and Variety then pays what is denied by insurance.
- If the total amount is denied, Variety will pay the entire amount.
- Variety will pay for equipment for a child on Medicaid (i.e. bathchairs, car seats and wheelchair trays) if Medicaid denies the request.
- If the child has no insurance or no DME clause in his or her insurance policy, Variety will pay in full.
- Through the TherHappy Kids program, Variety will cover up to three therapy visits per month, per Variety child.
- Any equipment Variety purchases will be maintained and repaired by Variety if the family is unable to pay.
Variety is on a mission to help children with disabilities fulfill their potential by providing access to vital medical equipment, therapy, and innovative programs. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help.