How to Apply
COVID-19 Update: Variety St. Louis is committed to providing Variety Kids with uninterrupted access to critical equipment, therapy services and programs. Families of area children with disabilities (ages birth to their 21st birthday) are encouraged to apply and submit requests for these vital services, including new needs that may arise as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In addition, we have expanded our TherHappy Kids program to include assistance with telehealth (virtual) therapy sessions. If your child does not have a therapist, or your current provider is not able to offer teletherapy at this time, we have partnered with E-Therapy to provide access to occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy via teletherapy.
To download our Medical Equipment and Therapy Financial Assistance Application, click here.
For medical equipment requests, Misty Burton is ready to help and answer any questions. Please contact her at 314-720-7708 or via email. For therapy questions and for more information regarding E-Therapy, please contact Carolyn Smith-Wooten at 314-720-7720 or via email.
The application can be emailed to the appropriate contact via email (listed above), faxed to 314-731-6866 or mailed to:
Variety the Children's Charity
11840 Westline Industrial Dr.
St Louis, MO 63146
How Variety’s Equipment and TherHappy Programs Work
- Variety Kids must be under the age of 21 and living in the Greater St. Louis region (the 30 counties we serve in Missouri and Illinois are shown in the map below).
- Variety provides financial assistance with medical equipment, but is unfortunately not able to help with evaluations, doctor fees, hospital fees, eyeglasses, TES units, hand controls for automobiles, diapers, food (for tube feedings), respirators or modifications to the home (inside or outside, i.e. lifts, ramps).
Procedure for Requesting Financial Assistance
- To request assistance with medical equipment and/or therapy services, the parent or guardian of the child with a disability must fill out this application form.
- A copy of the most recent federal income tax return (1040) must be submitted with the application. To ensure services for those who need it most, Variety’s equipment and therapy programs serve families with an adjusted gross income of less than $85,000.
- Each application is reviewed on an individual basis – during the COVID-19 pandemic, Variety is considering applications from families with a higher adjusted gross income if special circumstances, such as a loss of income, apply.
- For each piece of equipment Variety purchases, or therapy services Variety covers, a prescription, letter of necessity and estimate of cost are required.
- The request is submitted to the insurance company and Variety then pays what is denied by insurance.
- If total amount is denied, Variety will pay the entire amount.
- Variety will pay for equipment for a child on Medicaid (i.e. bath chairs, car seats and wheelchair trays) if Medicaid denies the request.
- If the child has no insurance or no DME clause in his or her insurance policy, Variety will pay in full.
- Through the TherHappy Kids program, Variety will cover up to three therapy visits per month, per Variety Kid.
4. Any equipment Variety purchases will be maintained and repaired by Variety if the family is unable to pay.